Me

Me
Let's connect on Instagram @culinary_cutie

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Clean Eating Vegetable Soup



With fall arriving in North Texas this weekend with a gust of forceful wind and storms, some cozy, comforting soup was what the day called for.  I decided to make some yummy hearty vegetable soup using a couple new (to me) vegetables.  I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out but dang can I say we each put down a couple generous bowl fulls today! It was so delicious and hearty, exactly what was needed to warm up my bones from the never ending rain/damp we have had this weekend.

I participate in a local fall share program through a local Dallas grocery store, Green Grocer Dallas. The wonderful thing about this program is I get a variety of different, local, organic, and in season veggies.  What this also means is I get to experiment with multiple different veggies I have a) never heard of before and b) would be scared to death to actually buy on my own in the grocery store.  So the beauty of this is, I get to support a local business, local farmers, and get to make delicious dishes with new (to me) ingredients!

I would suggest if you're in Dallas checking out this store, Green Grocer Dallas.  It is definitely a little gem.

I also made a very large pot of soup so that I could freeze a portion for meals to come. All of my ingredients were organic.  Also, if you don't have some of these veggies don't be afraid to throw in whatever you have (e.g., peas, green beans, corn, or Brussels Sprouts).

This is what Kohlrabi looks like, in case you don't know.  It is in the cabbage family.



Ingredients

  • 1 quart vegetable or chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 large onion roughly diced
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • 2 diced tomatoes
  • 1 8 oz can of tomato paste
  • 1 cup of diced carrots
  • 5 diced stalks of celery
  • 1 large cubed sweet potato
  • 2 cubed purple kohlrabi
  • 5 cubed small turnips
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp oregano 
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1/2 tsp pepper


Place all ingredients in a stock pot and bring to a boil, reduce to a slow boil, cover, and stir occasionally.  


Once all the veggies are cooked down and soft serve!.  I would also feel comfortable making this in the crock pot as well.



I served ours garnished with fresh cilantro and my Clean Eating/Dairy-Free Honey Corn Bread



No comments:

Post a Comment