Me

Me
Let's connect on Instagram @culinary_cutie

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Dallas Farmer's Market (for the 1st time)

This Saturday I experienced the Dallas Farmer's Market for the 1st time and it did not disappoint.  Dallas's market is one of the lucky ones to be open 362 days a year! I still get blown away every time I realize I can get produce of some kind all year long.  Being from Ohio the extended growing season I have been able to experience since moving to the south has been fantastic and very much apperciated.  

If you are a history buff like me, you might apperciate this interesting tid bit about the market.  The market operates on the same site where farmers have been coming to sell their crops for over a century! The market also became officially sanctioned as a farmer's market in 1941.  Now that is some history and shows a sense of tradition I have experienced since moving to Texas. 

The market is comprised of multiple sheds and is currently under some construction so I may not have gotten the full  visual experience, but the view of the skyline was just too picturesque to pass up.




The market is right in downtown and is a little slice of nature in this urban landscape.  Being my 1st time to experience this farmers market, I was just trying to take it all in. I was super excited to find a large, all organic, non-GMO stall, the yummiest organic blue berries, local raw organic honey, and a grass-fed raised, no antibiotic beef stall. I wasn't expecting to find fresh meat, so I didn't come prepared with a cold cooler to pack meat in but I can promise I won't make that mistake again.  As the prices were $2 less than Whole Foods on average.  




The vibrant colors of the vegetables and fruit were radiating from every stall.  The smells, sounds, and general hustle and bustle from every corner engaged and excited all of my senses.  My Frenchie, Stella had a blast as she made multiple friends at every turn.  


Did I mention the entire market except shed 2 is dog friendly? This is another thing I love about Dallas, pets are welcome almost everywhere and the market was no exception.

I picked up a good bunch of local organic produce, spices, and pasta. I plan on making a yummy pasta, guacamole, stuffed peppers, and many refreshing smoothies with the blueberries this week.
  
That's many meals and snacks from 1 trip to the market.  I will be posting the meals all week long so stay tuned for recipes made from local organic ingrediants! 


1 comment:

  1. Hi! I saw your post about the Dallas Farmers Market and wanted to reach out to you because I'm a publicist at MediaLine PR (which specializes in culinary PR) and the DFM is one of our clients! We're sending out a press release about the DFM this week and I thought you might be interested in the news. If so, please feel free to call me at 214-379-7005 or email me at christelle@medialinepr.com.

    Thanks!
    Christelle

    ReplyDelete