Me

Me
Let's connect on Instagram @culinary_cutie

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pesto Portobello Sandwiches


Tonight's dinner features some homemade pesto sauce slathered on meaty portobello mushrooms. These are perhaps the juiciest portobellos I have ever had and the saltiness from the fresh melted mozzarella was just the cherry on top for me.  My belly is so very happy.

This dish was quick and easy.  It took an entire 30 minutes to make! After a long work day and on top of my lingering cold, it was just what the doctor ordered.
   
The pesto is basically my grandmother'a recipe.  I personally had to cut down on the olive oil because it was just too oily. So since I did that I also had to cut down on the pine nuts and the cheese. Still it is a delicious, easy favorite around here that can add character to any meal.  All of the ingredients I used were organic and the basil came straight from my herb garden.

Pesto ingredients
2 cups lightly packed fresh basil
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 teaspoon each of salt & pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Put all in blender or food processor and blend till thoroughly combined 





 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Portobello ingredients
5 medium sized portobello mushrooms
1/2 cup  diced grape tomatoes
Fresh mozzarella cheese 

Place the mushrooms on a cookie sheet. Baste the mushrooms in the pesto mix and top each mushroom with a few diced tomatoes.  Then bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 min.  Add the thinly sliced fresh mozzarella cheese. Continue to bake till the cheese has melted.  



We ate them on organic whole grain bun thins but they are also delicious by themselves.  We ate our's with some fresh cut watermelon to keep it simple, light, and fresh. 




No comments:

Post a Comment