Me

Me
Let's connect on Instagram @culinary_cutie

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Flatbread Dough Recipe

Flatbreads appear to be all the rage at restaurants, and it is one of my favorite things to order. I got to thinking it couldn't be that hard to make at home and clean up the recipe,so after one failed attempt at the crust I gave it another go and man am I glad I did.  This is amazing! Seriously I'm going to be making these all the time.

So let's start with how to make the dough, because once you have mastered  the dough recipe you can make all kind of variations of flatbreads. 

Flatbread Dough Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp of salt
1 1/2 cups water

In a large mixing bowl combine all your ingredients and mix with a spoon till you have a sticky consistency. Then turn out on to a floured surface. 
Begin to knead the dough as pictures above; adding flour till you have a non sticky, palpable, and smooth consistency.


Then separate the dough into 2 halves.  This recipe will make 4 flatbreads.  I froze one of my halves to use at a later time as 2 flatbreads is more then enough for my little family. 

Then break down 1 of your halves one more time so you have 2 small halves. 
Shape the dough into a round smooth ball and begin rolling out on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin. 

Courtesy of my time at a pizzeria in high school I have some serious mad pizza stretching abilities. So once I have the dough flattened out I begin to stretch with my hands into a thinner shape.  If this is something your don't feel comfortable with just continue to roll out till you have a thin circular, rectangular, or misshapen piece if dough.  At the end of day taste is what matters and more you make the prettier they will be.

Then heat a skillet on the cooktop with a small dollop of olive oil till the skillet is very hot and sizzling.


Place the dough on the skillet and cook on high. You will need to flip the dough multiple times to assure it cooks crisply without burning.


Once your flatbread is crisp and resembles the one in the above picture remove the flatbread from heat and place on a pizza pan. 

Now the flatbread is ready for toppings and then the oven! Look at that you made a delicious flatbread dough that is clean and made with whole ingredients.

I have the recipe for Margherita Flatbread on the blog as well. Go to that post to see what the ingredients are! 

No comments:

Post a Comment